Woman choked to death after carer failed to cut up sausage 


A sixty-year-old woman with swallowing difficulties choked on a sausage after her carer failed to cut it into pieces, an inquest has heard.

Patsy Taneborne, who had been put on a diet of soft and bite-sized foods after a stroke, died two days following the choking incident at OSJCT’s Monkscroft Care Home in Cheltenham (pictured) on 5 August.

An inquest heard last week that Ms Taneborne’s carer, Delia Lethy, had failed to follow her care plan and cut up her food as she felt her sausage was soft enough to eat.

Story continues below

Ms Taneborne began choking on her food while unsupervised and went into cardiac arrest before staff noticed and began CPR.

Ms Lethy, who was sacked in September following a disciplinary hearing, admitted she had made a poor choice, adding: “I’m so sorry that my actions led to the woman’s death.”

A spokesperson for OSJCT said: “Our thoughts are with the family and loved ones of Patsy Taneborne. The Orders of St John Care Trust is dedicated to providing the best possible care for some of the most vulnerable people across the care sector. We get to know those people extremely well and a tragedy like this hits us all very hard.

“Swift action was taken once an internal investigation found that our detailed procedures and tailored training had not been followed and had therefore endangered the life of someone under our care. We maintain exceptionally high standards and continually review the way in which those standards are delivered to ensure that an incident like that in 2019 does not happen again.”

Tags : chokingDeathOSJCT
Lee Peart

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response

Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Enter your email to join the thousands of other professionals receiving breaking news from Care Home Professional