close

Third death confirmed at COVID-19 outbreak care home

Dun Berisay

The death of a third resident has been confirmed following the outbreak of COVID-19 at a care home in the Outer Hebrides.

Comhairle nan Eilean Siar council and NHS Western Isles confirmed the death at the council-run Dun Berisay care home in Stornoway.

A spokesperson said: “Our thoughts are with family, friends and staff during this difficult time.

Story continues below
Advertisement

It has now been five days since any resident tested COVID positive and only one staff member has tested COVID positive since the 30th July.

“We now have staff returning from their period of isolation which will improve the overall staffing of the care home.”

The council said families were being kept up to date on an ongoing basis by social care staff with teams from NHS Western Isles and Comhairle nan Eilean Siar continuing to support the care home with their arrangements for infection prevention and control.

An Incident Management Team met for the fifth time on Friday to monitor and assess arrangements.

Non-essential visiting at Dun Berisay continues to be suspended.

The latest statistics for care homes in England and Wales last week revealed that COVID-19 deaths in care homes remained at a pandemic low in July.

Tags : COVID-19deaths
mm

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response