Shrewsbury care home fined £20,000 over shower death


Maesbrook nursing home in Shrewsbury has been fined £20,000 after an elderly resident died following a fall in a shower.

The home admitted an offence under the Health & Safety at Work Act of exposing a non-employee to risk, the Shropshire Star reported.

Eighty-year-old Frances Burman fractured her hip after falling from a chair in September 2014. She died three weeks later after her condition deteriorated.

Story continues below

Mrs Burman was moved to Maesbrook in 2011 having suffered a stroke in 2008.

She need to be assisted in and out of bed or chair with the use of a sling or hoist and required assistance when bathing.

An investigation by the Health & Safety Executive found that while two people were attending Mrs Burman as she showered only one was directly involved in helping her.

Judge Jim Tindal said evidence showed Maesbrook was regarded as a good care home and the operators had taken immediate responsibility for what happened and offered genuine remorse.

The home was rated ‘good’ in October following its last inspection by the CQC.

Tags : bathroomDeathfineNursing

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response