close

Residents at risk of choking in unsafe home

Polefield

Residents were found to be at risk of choking in a home rated Inadequate by the CQC.

Polefield Nursing Home in Manchester, which is run by Mr Mohedeen Assrafally & Mrs Bibi Toridah Assrafally, was rated Inadequate following a previous rating of Requires Improvement.

Debbie Westhead, Deputy Chief Inspector of Adult Social Care in the North, said: “It is very disappointing to learn that the service has deteriorated as we would have expected to see an improvement in quality.

Story continues below
Advertisement

“It is our expectation that providers should use our inspection reports to help address the problems and rectify them as a matter of urgency.”

Inspectors found that residents at risk from an “unsafe swallow” were given foods which could make them choke.

People were also not being protected from losing weight with their food not containing additional calories as advised by a dietician.

Gaps were also found in staff training in fire safety, infection control and safeguarding.

Debbie added: “Properly trained staff are essential to the safe and effective operation of a service, the fact that training needs had still not been addressed is unacceptable.”

To read the report click here.

Tags : CQCInadequateSpecial Measures
mm

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response