Man dies following HC-One care home fire

Woodlands View


An elderly man has died and another person remains in a critical condition after a fire at an HC-One home recently acquired from Bupa in Stevenage.

Eight fire engines were called to the deal with the blaze at Woodlands View care home at 4.30pm on Saturday.

Story continues below

Darryl Keen, Chief Fire Officer and Director of Community Protection for Hertfordshire County Council, said: “There were 41 people in the premises at the time of the fire, many of these self-evacuated but firefighters completed five rescues and assisted another 10 from the property. All 41 residents, staff and visitors, were assessed by the ambulance service. The fire was out by 5pm.

“Seven people were taken to hospital and sadly one man in his 80s has died. One person remains in a critical condition in hospital.”

News reports have claimed the blaze was caused by an oxygen cylinder explosion, however, HC-One said the reason for the fire had yet to be determined.

HC-One added: “The safety and wellbeing of residents is our number one priority. We are incredibly grateful to everyone involved, including the emergency services and Hertfordshire County Council, as well as our own colleagues, for their very swift and professional response which enabled residents from the unit to be relocated quickly and safely to other units at the home, and to our nearby sister homes.

“We have also been keeping the families of all residents up to date with the latest developments. Our immediate priority remains providing all support possible to everybody connected to the home and affected by Saturday’s events.”


Tags : DeathFireHC-One

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response