Electrical fire leads to care home evacuation


Residents were evacuated with six taken to hospital for treatment following a fire caused by electrics at a care home in North Wales yesterday.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to the blaze at Pandy Tudur residential home near Llanrwst in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Tony Jones, Head of Response for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We were extremely lucky that no one was seriously hurt in this fire.

Story continues below

“Our firefighters worked in challenging weather conditions to perform these rescues and tackle this complex fire.

“The fire caused substantial damage to the property and put the lives of the residents at risk – this highlights to everyone the importance of fire safety and having working smoke alarms fitted.”

The fire is believed to have been caused by electrics in a first floor store cupboard.

All residents were evacuated safely, with seven people being rescued from the property by firefighters. Six of the residents were conveyed to hospital for precautionary check-ups.

A Conwy County Borough Council spokesperson said alternative accommodation had been found for the residents.

Cllr Liz Roberts, Conwy County Borough Council’s Cabinet member for Social Care, said: “We appreciate what a traumatic incident this is for residents and their families and we are grateful for the response of the care staff on duty and the emergency services as well as members of the local community for assisting.”

Tags : FireHealth and Safety

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response