More than 5,000 people have died in care homes with COVID-19 symptoms, according to the latest research by LaingBuisson.
During a coronavirus webinar yesterday, LaingBuisson chairman, William Laing, estimated there had been 5,300 COVID-19 deaths as of April 15, following a sample survey of 13% care providers.
The LaingBuisson chairman said the virus had accounted for 1.4% of deaths in care homes, as well as 6.8% overall deaths of care home residents, against an equivalent figure of 2.4% for people in home care settings.
“What this seems to signify is that, as you would expect, the recipients of home care are more shielded as they did not have the same number of visits prior to shut down,” William commented.
Commenting on workforce analysis which showed that 12% of care home frontline staff were unavailable for work, William noted: “I was expecting a much higher percentage of staff would be unavailable. That shows that the whole system seems to be more resilient than perhaps one might have expected.”
William said the rates of care home deaths had been higher in other countries adding that this may be attributable to the fact that care homes are larger elsewhere.
CEO Sam Monaghan, meanwhile, has revealed that not for profit provider MHA has suffered 251 COVID-19 related across its 222 care homes.
Sam commented: “Each and every one of these deaths is devastating for families of residents and also for our colleagues who have been working tirelessly to both care for residents and also keep themselves safe.
“We can only speculate what a difference adequate levels of testing including contact tracing and ample, readily available supplies of PPE could have made. In time no doubt many of these questions will be asked and answered as part of a public enquiry but for now, the immediate protection of lives is our priority along with the support of our staff.”