A Coroner’s Court jury has found that the death of a care home resident from choking was accidental.
David Wainberg, 75, died in hospital after choking on a piece of food at Barchester Healthcare’s Windermere House in Hull on June 20, 2018, Hull Live reported.
The court heard how Mr Wainberg, who suffered from complex mental health issues, lost consciousness and went into cardiac arrest after choking on a piece of food during an evening meal.
Staff members at the home tried “relentlessly” to save Mr Wainberg’s life before paramedics arrived.
He was taken to Royal Hull Infirmary where he sadly died three days later.
Unit manager Christopher Cooper said Mr Wainberg had suffered four choking incidents since 2015.
Mr Cooper said the home carried out monthly choking assessments on all residents and Mr Wainberg had been consistently recorded as low risk.
“We were aware that from the previous history there had been episodes where he appeared to struggle with his food and because of this we had a support plan in place where staff observed him at all times,” Mr Cooper added.
A root cause report by hospital director Sally Mowforth recorded that a “fantastic” care plan was in place for Mr Wainberg.
A Barchester Healthcare spokesperson said: “The team at Windermere House offer our deepest condolences to the family of our patient. The safety and wellbeing of our patients is our utmost priority, and we worked with the relevant authorities to assist throughout their investigation. Our thoughts are with the family and friends at this very difficult time, and we will continue to do everything we can to support them.”
Matt Oakley, CEO of Dechoker UK, told CHP: “In the two years since we launched DeChoker we have seen a worrying rise in the number of reported choking deaths in the adult care sector.
“Providers should be considering what they should do when a choking emergency happens, not if.”