An investigation has been launched into the death of a care home resident who died after choking on a sausage roll.
Forty-seven year-old Richy Passmore, who suffered from MS, died in September after being rushed to hospital following the choking incident at Beechwood Care Home in Wishaw, Lanarkshire, The Scottish Sun reported.
Members of Mr Passmore’s family have alleged he died as a result of being left to eat on his own despite instructions he should be supervised.
A Crown Office spokesman said: “The Procurator Fiscal has received a report in connection with the death of a 47-year-old man in Wishaw on 18 September 2019.
“A joint investigation by Police Scotland and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the death is ongoing and once complete will be fully considered by the Crown’s Health and Safety Investigations Unit (HSIU).
“The family will continue to be kept updated in relation to any significant developments.”
The Care Inspectorate said: “We were notified appropriately of the tragic death of a resident at Beechwood Care Home and our thoughts are with those affected.
“We have liaised closely with colleagues at Police Scotland and are aware that this matter will be considered by the Crown’s Health and Safety Investigations Unit. We will consider their findings carefully and will inspect this service again in due course.”
A spokesman for Holmes Care Group, which runs Beechwood Care Home, said: “Our deepest sympathies are with Mr Passmore’s family. He is dearly missed.
“We undertook our own full review into the circumstances surrounding his passing. All the paperwork relating to this was given to the Care Inspectorate and we are working with them and the other relevant agencies to support their ongoing review.
“We are confident our care and nursing team followed his care plan and acted appropriately at the time of the incident by taking immediate action to support Mr Passmore, contact emergency services and attempt to resolve the situation in line with best practice.
“We have put in place additional measures to further improve how we support residents. These include staff meetings so everyone has the latest information about our residents.”