Carers hailed as heroes after rescuing pensioner from burning building


Six Barchester care staff who bravely rescued an elderly pension from a neighbouring burning building have been hailed as heroes.

Staff from Ottley House in Shrewsbury kicked the door down of a neighbouring burning bungalow to rescue an elderly man following a gas cylinder explosion last Friday, the Shropshire Star reported.

Praising the carers for their “amazing act of bravery”, Shrewsbury fire station manager Chris White said: “The staff at the care home were finishing their shifts at 7pm and when they left the building they noticed smoke coming from the front of the bungalow and thick black smoke coming from the rear.

Story continues below

“About four of the staff ran to the front door and could see a fire through the glass.

“One man ran back to the care home and alerted more staff. He returned to the bungalow and forced entry. He kicked the door in and thick black smoke came out of the property.

“Another member of staff had taken an extinguisher from the care home and put out as much of the fire as they could.

“The other staff were shouting out for the occupier and saw there was a door off the hallway. They opened and found an elderly gentleman who was lying on the floor. They carried him out through the neighbour’s garden and gave him oxygen therapy.”

Adrian Morris, a Care Assistant at Ottley House, and one of the team members who assisted, said: “It wasn’t until we got inside that we heard the gentleman calling out for help. When we pulled him out two nurses from the home had to administer CPR before the fire brigade arrived, whilst the rest of us used fire extinguishers from the home to put out as much of the fire as we could. I speak for my team to say we’re really happy to have rescued the person inside, we are all relieved to know that he’s okay, and now safely staying at Ottley House.”

A Barchester spokesperson added: “We are extremely proud of the acts of bravery shown by the Ottley House staff in rescuing a tenant from a burning bungalow on Friday 12th April 2019. We are glad to report that the tenant is well and resting and without the efforts of our staff in pulling the tenant from the burning bungalow, extinguishing the fire and providing first aid this may well not have been the case. We would also like to thank the fire brigade for their quick response and support in making the area safe.”

As well as Adrian, the Barchester employees involved in the rescue were: Claire O’Keefe, Milen Nikolov, Gill Potts, Susie Tindall and Danny Bondoc.

Tags : Barchester HealthcareBest practice
Lee Peart

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response

Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Enter your email to join the thousands of other professionals receiving breaking news from Care Home Professional