close
Dechoker III

A carer has saved a resident’s life with an anti-choking device after they choked on food and became unconscious.

Jodie Smith, of Yorkare’s CQC ‘outstanding’ rated Magdalen Park Care Home in Hedon, Yorkshire, saved Ivy’s (pictured with Jodie) life by using the Dechoker device to dislodge food from her throat that had caused her to choke.

Jodie said: “I would not of known what to do if this equipment was not in use and I believe all care settings such as care homes, nurseries and schools need one.  They are a fantastic piece of equipment and I am very thankful this was in place here.”

Story continues below
Advertisement

Jonathan Garton, Operations Director for Yorkare Homes, added: “After a choking incident earlier in the year, when a member of the team was luckily able to save a residents life using traditional first aid techniques, we decided to look into how we could better protect our residents if another choking incident occurred.

“Swallowing difficulties are common in the elderly and traditional first aid techniques are not always successful. We found Dechoker UK, and spoke with Matt Oakley their CEO, he came and demonstrated his product and we decided to put a few in each of our care homes. Everybody at Magdalen Park is very proud of how Jodie stayed calm under pressure and managed to use the piece of equipment to save Ivy’s life.”

Matt commented: “We are always thrilled when Dechoker saves a life, and this is no exception. We congratulate both Jodie and the team at Yorkare for their continuing efforts to provide the highest level of care and safety for their residents.

“Not every client who uses their Dechoker wants to tell everyone, and we understand and respect that. Choking is an often unavoidable result of the ageing process, and to make a decision to improve both resident and staff safety is something any provider should be proud to acknowledge.”

 

Tags : anti-chokingBest practiceDechoker UKInnovationYorkare
mm

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response