Care residents evacuated following fridge gas leak


Elderly residents and staff were evacuated from a Plymouth care home and given medical treatment after they were exposed to a gas leak.

Fire crews were sent to attend Patricia Venton House in Mount Gould after staff and residents complained of a smell of gas, the according to the Plymouth Herald.

A spokesperson for the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “”There was a gas leak from a fridge. Several residents were involved and five members of staff suffered from the effects.”

Story continues below

“We were initially called because they could smell and see the haze of the gas. We discovered it was coming from a fridge in one of the residents’ rooms.

“The fridge was later removed and we got the residents back inside as soon as we could.”

Firefighters discovered that a damaged fridge in a resident’s room was the source of the leak.

The fridge was then removed from the premises while “several” residents and five members of staff were treated by paramedics for gas inhalation.

British Gas revealed earlier this week that around a fifth of small and medium sized businesses do not have a carbon monoxide alarm and were failing to have an annual gas safety check (see Small businesses fail to stay Gas Safe).

Tags : Health and Safety
Lee Peart

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response

Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Enter your email to join the thousands of other professionals receiving breaking news from Care Home Professional