A care home resident who died from sepsis and pneumonia after contracting a bed sore suffered an “unacceptable delay” in their admission to hospital, an inquest has found.
The inquest concerned the death of Edward Mason a former resident of Larchwood Care’s Nether Hall Care Home in Derbyshire who died in hospital in August 2016 after contracting an infected bed sore in the previous month.
Assistant coroner Louise Pinder found Mr Mason had suffered an “unacceptable delay” in being admitted to hospital when the infection was detected, DerbyshireLive reported.
She ruled that neglect had not contributed to Mr Mason’s death, however, adding that efforts had been made to contact a GP when the infection was found.
Ms Pinder said it was “unlikely” that the bed sore would have responded to treatment even if he had been admitted to hospital without delay. She recorded his cause of death as sepsis and pneumonia.
A spokesperson for the home said: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with Mr Mason’s family and friends at this difficult time. We note the conclusion and the coroner’s comments and will be reviewing them thoroughly. The welfare of our residents is our prime concern and we constantly assess our policies and procedures. As Mr Mason died almost three years ago, many procedural changes have been made in that time, and we will continue to review our practices regularly.”
A legal firm representing Mr Mason’s family said they would be issuing a civil claim against the home.
Guidance on preventing ulcers has been published by the Pressure Ulcer Prevention Advisory.
To get your copy of the information booklet, click here.