close

Care home resident choked to death on hot cross bun

Kingsley care home

A resident at a Kent care home died after choking on a hot cross bun, a court inquest has heard.

John Condron, who had autism, died on April 24 while eating with other residents at Kingsley care home in Herne Bay, KentOnline reported.

An inquest at Canterbury Coroner’s Court heard how carer, Sammy Abdullah, had attempted to resuscitate Mr Condron before the arrival of paramedics.

Story continues below
Advertisement

Registered manager, Rhonda Grant, told the court that Mr Condron, who was assessed as being at risk of choking, would only be given soft food often with sauce and a thickened drink. Mrs Grant said staff would also sit with the 55-year-old and cut up his food.

Eleanor Schagen, language therapist from the Ashford and Canterbury and Coastal disability team, said it had been judged that Mr Condron was able to eat hot cross buns safely.

Ms Schagen said Mr Abdullah had acted quickly in attempting to resuscitate Mr Condron and there were no signs he had required extra support or that guidelines had not been followed.

Assistant coroner Ian Goldup concluded that Mr Condron had died from choking and that his death had been accidental.

Mrs Grant said: “I assessed John before he came to us, so I have been with him from the beginning.

“He was the life and soul of the care home. He was very playful and well-loved by the clients and staff.”

Kingsley care home was rated good in all categories on its last inspection by the CQC in January 2019.

Tags : chokingDeath
mm

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response