Anchor Trust has been fined £210,000 following the death of a resident whose pyjamas caught fire when he was smoking a cigarette unattended.

The sentence carried out by Guildford Crown Court related to the death of 66-year-old Gordon Boxall following the accident at Barnfield Care Home in Surrey in 2015.

Mark Greaves, Care Director at Barnfield, said: “We are deeply sorry for the distress this tragic accident has caused and we have passed on our condolences to Mr Boxall’s family.

Story continues below

“This incident happened more than two years ago and the home is now under a different management team. We have conducted our own full investigation and have worked with police and social services to ensure all possible lessons have been learnt and acted on.

“Staff at the home have had extensive training to provide the highest standards of care that we expect.

“The regulator, the Care Quality Commission, recognises this and they recently rated the home as good.”

Mr Boxall died after a cigarette ignited flammable cream on his body which had been used to treat a skin condition.

Anchor pleaded guilty to three breaches of fire safety regulations in the prosecution brought by Surrey County Council.

Tags : AnchorfineHealth and Safety
Lee Peart

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response

Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Enter your email to join the thousands of other professionals receiving breaking news from Care Home Professional