An airway clearance device has helped save the life of a resident at New Care’s Ashland Manor Care Home in Sale, Manchester.

Using a Dechoker, care staff were able to remove food which had become lodged in a 97-year-old woman’s throat during breakfast.

Paramedics, who had been called as part of New Care safety protocol attended and took the resident to hospital as a precaution. After spending just four hours in A&E she was released and allowed to return to her care home having made a full recovery.

Story continues below

“This is exactly what the Dechoker was designed for,” said Matt Oakley, Director for Dechoker UK.

“We were all thrilled when New Care called to tell us the news and how effective Dechoker had been in a choking emergency. With the number of our devices now in care and nursing homes throughout the UK, and how frequently choking emergencies occur in the sector it was only a matter of time before a Dechoker would be called in to action. It certainly won’t be the last.”

New Care became the first care home group to install Dechoker in all of its homes earlier this year (see New Care is first in UK to install life-changing Dechoker across all homes).

Chief operating officer at New Care, Cath Fairhurst, commented: “At New Care we are committed to sourcing and installing the latest technology to improve and enhance the lives of our residents, and are delighted that the use of Dechoker across all of our homes has already saved a life.”

Tags : chokingDechoker UKHealth & SafetyInnovationmedicalNew Care

The author Lee Peart

Leave a Response