A woman has died after a fire broke out in supported living flats provided by Sequence Care Group in Chingford, Waltham Forest.
More than 70 firefighters were called to a fire at the property for people with learning disabilities in Connington Court last night.
London Fire Brigade Station Manager Keith Williams said: “Firefighters worked hard to contain the spread of the fire which destroyed the roof. Crews expect to be here into the day, tackling hot spots.”
London Fire Brigade said 12 people had left the building before the arrival with one woman sadly being confirmed dead at the scene.
Tony Hegarty, chief operations officer at Sequence Care, said: “We are all shocked by the death of a resident in our supported living flats at Connington Court in Chingford and our thoughts are with her family. We will offer them every support we can.
“The safety and well-being of our residents is always our main concern and while we believe that the processes that we have in place to ensure fire safety are robust, in the light of last night’s events we are carrying out further checks across all of our services.
“We would like to also thank the Fire Brigade, Ambulance Service and other emergency services for their rapid response and their support. It is greatly appreciated.
“We are working closely with the emergency services to establish exactly what happened to cause the fire. It would be inappropriate to make any further comment at this stage.”