Two seriously injured in care home blaze

firefighter

Two people were seriously injured after a blaze at a care home in Tamworth, Staffordshire on Saturday.

Twenty five people were rescued and seven taken to hospital following the fire caused by a cigarette in a smoking area outside Standon Care Home at 11pm.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said the “accidental” fire had been caused “by poorly discarded smoking materials”. The fire is believed to have taken hold on a canvas awning in the smoking area.

Story continues below
Advertisement

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “The property has suffered very considerable damage, but fortunately, firefighters and staff were able to bring all of the residents out of the building.

“After assessment at the scene by ambulance staff and the doctors, six patients were taken to Good Hope Hospital with a further patient taken to Queens Hospital in Burton. Two of the patients taken to Good Hope were in a serious condition.

“A total of 16 other residents were rehoused within adjacent flats, but two residents were taken by ambulance to other care homes.

“There was excellent teamwork between the emergency services and the local authority.”

Standon House is a privately care home which was rated ‘good’ by the CQC following its last inspection in December.

Staffordshire County Council said alternative accommodation had been found for all 24 residents of the home.

Authors
TAG CLOUD ,

Related posts

*

Top