Sunlight on make-up mirror causes care home blaze

 

A warning has been issued to keep mirrors away from windows after a fire at a Staffordshire care home.

The fire took hold at Nethermoor House in Rugeley last week after sunlight shone onto a make-up mirror and ignited nearby curtains.

Story continues below
Advertisement

Firefighters tackled the blaze at 12.05pm on Thursday after a cleaner smelt burning on the first floor of the home.

Station Manager Tim Hollingworth said: “It is very fortunate that the cleaner acted quickly when she smelt the smoke, before the alarms even activated, and the care home staff did an excellent job, working calmly and quickly, to evacuate residents.

“Crews quickly extinguished the fire and once it was safe, elderly residents were able to return to another area of the building to get out of the cold. Thankfully no one was injured but all residents were assessed by paramedics as a precaution as it was quite a shock for them having to be evacuated.

“People don’t realise that sunlight can be extremely powerful and if reflected off the surface of a mirror it can produce enough heat to ignite flammable materials.

“Always keep reflective items such as mirrors away from direct sunlight. Special care should be taken with convex and concave shaving or make-up mirrors which can magnify the sun’s rays onto combustible items such as blinds, curtains or bedding, causing them to ignite.”

Peter Gross, Director of Friendly Care, told CHP: “As a result of this incident we will be reviewing the storage locations of vanity mirrors and other similar items. We are very grateful to all those involved that the fire damage wasn’t any worse and that all of our residents were kept safe from harm.

“We take fire safety very seriously, we have recently had visits from the local fire officer and a full fire risk assessment completed with recommendations that we have already acted upon.

“Fire drills were conducted for all staff only in January and we are extremely proud that the staff and management on shift were able to act quickly, calmly and correctly during the emergency situation. We are very grateful to all those involved that the fire damage wasn’t any worse and that all of our residents were kept safe from harm.”

 

Authors
TAG CLOUD ,

*

Related posts

Top