A £30,000 fine has been slapped on a south-east London care home after a fire left an elderly woman on life support.
Burrows House in Penge, Bromley, which is owned by GCH Ltd, was found to have breached fire safety laws after six elderly residents were evacuated from a blaze in 2013, the Evening Standard reported.
London Fire Brigade’s assistant commissioner for fire safety Dan Daly said: “This was a very serious fire which nearly saw someone lose their life.
“Protecting London’s most vulnerable residents is our priority. Families entrust the care of their loved ones to places such as this, and to find people being put at risk from fires in places where they should be safe in this way is totally unacceptable.”
Three residents were rushed to hospital with one elderly woman spending over a month in hospital due to smoke inhalation.
GCH Ltd was fined £30,000 and charged a further £10,000 in legal costs after it was found to have blocked a fire escape with combustible materials, wedged fire doors open, failed to keep maintain fire equipment. The home also had no fire risk assessment.
The fire occurred after an electrically operated armchair burst into flames.