An investigation has been launched after a man died from eating a bleach tablet in a Newcastle care home.
The man died at Balmoral Court in Byker which is owned by Crown Care following the incident in August last year.
Following the resident’s death, a spokesman for the 62-bed home said: “We are very sad to confirm one of our residents has died in hospital after an incident at the home. A full investigation is under way and we are liaising closely with the family and the appropriate authorities.”
The man, who has not been named, died despite being rushed to hospital.
An inquest into the incidents surrounding the death is to be held this year.
Balmoral Court specialises in the care of those with dementia, mental health conditions and physical disabilities.
The home was rated ‘requires improvement’ following its last inspection in October last year. To read the report click here.
Mark Brassey of care home product provider Berwick Care said: “This highlights the importance of ensuring that cleaning chemicals are never left unsupervised. Care homes may want to consider control measures such as cleaning trolley’s with lockable compartments to ensure no access to unauthorised persons.”
To find out more about Berwick Care’s products call 01743 440011 or click here for more information.