An elderly man has died after visiting his wife in a nursing home, an inquest has heard.
John Elton, 78, died after choking on a biscuit at Ledbury Nursing Home in Herefordshire, the Hereford Times reported.
The inquest at Hereford Town Hall heard that Mr Elton suffered a cardiac arrest after his airways became blocked by food on 30 November.
Giving a verdict of accidental death, county coroner Mark Bricknell said: “He [Mr Elton] was visiting his wife in a nursing home when he choked on food.
“Assistance was given by those at the home but unfortunately before his airways could be cleared he suffered a cardiac arrest.
“Paramedics continued to give him treatment however, Mr Elton didn’t survive.”
Mr Elton died despite attempts made to clear Mr Elton’s airways with CPR carried out by staff at the home.
He died shortly after arriving at Hereford County Hospital.
Ledbury Nursing Home, which is run by Shaw Healthcare, provides nursing and personal care for people over 65.
The home was rated ‘requires improvement’, following its last inspection by the CQC in May last year.
To read the report, click here.